For 25 years, Rainforest Action Network has campaigned for the forests, their inhabitants and the natural systems that sustain life. In coalition with indigenous communities and allies from around the world, RAN uses non-violent direct action, grassroots organizing, education, and strategic communications to challenge corporations to stop destructive operations, respect human rights, and adopt comprehensive policies that reduce their contributions to global warming.
RAN is looking for a motivated, passionate and hard-working person to support the Energy and Finance Program Director and the Energy and Finance team. The ability to interact with staff at all levels—while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful, and efficient—is essential. A high level of professionalism and confidentiality is crucial.
This is an ideal position for a recent graduate interested in environmental advocacy. The successful candidate will have a passionate commitment to environmental protection and/or corporate campaigning. They will love developing and maintaining systems for efficient working and will have an interest in developing their research skills.
This position provides administrative and campaign support for the Energy and Finance Program, provides support to the Energy and Finance Program Director (PD), and handles special projects as assigned. This position is part-time (24 hours/week) with full benefits and reports to the Energy and Finance Research and Policy Campaigner. This position has the potential to grow to a full-time role.
The PD oversees strategic development of Rainforest Action Network’s Energy and Finance campaigns, organizes other special projects, ensures funding, administrative and organizational support for RAN’s campaigns, and supervises campaigners. The Program Assistant will provide overall administrative support to the PD for these areas. As a critical member of the Energy and Finance team, this person will have the opportunity to participate in strategic discussions, corporate negotiations, and campaign planning sessions. Beyond meeting the administrative needs of the team, special research projects will be assigned based on the skillset of the selected applicant.
- Track weekly reports and collect agenda items for team check-in meetings;
- Compile daily summary of Program specific news items;
- Conduct research for Program as needed or as requested;
- Monitor Energy Finance Program budget, track team spending, maintain fundraising records and participate in development pushes;
- Make logistical arrangements for internal and external meetings for Energy and Finance team, collect agenda items and take minutes at weekly team meetings and as requested at other meetings;
- Coordinate paperwork for contractors, assist with hiring processes and onboard new team members;
- Supervise interns when needed and manage team annual review timelines;
- Support program planning processes, implement workplan evaluations and coordinate campaign calendars;
- Handle appropriate written and verbal correspondence;
- Assist PD in other campaign projects as needed or as requested by PD;
- Support other aspects of RAN’s work (e.g. helping during major fundraising events, grassroots trainings, or campaigns priorities as requested by PD);
- Participate in weekly RAN staff meetings;
- Assist campaign team in other projects as needed or as requested;
- Share office responsibilities to maintain a healthy and safe workplace.
- College degree or equivalent;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English;
- Strong organizational, research, and time management skills;
- Highly organized, ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced campaigning environment;
- Solid computer skills (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, PowerPoint and basic internet skills);
- Previous experience in administrative position required, campaigning, or advocacy experience preferred;
- Knowledge and interest of issues surrounding anti-oppression and diversity a plus;
- Experience working in non-profits is preferred;
- Passionate commitment to environmental protection and/or corporate campaigning is required.
RAN values diversity, educates staff on issues including privilege and oppression, and integrates these values into all of our work. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this process and work with us to create a just, inclusive, and sustainable work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities.
Supervisor: Policy & Research Campaigner
Status: part-time (0.6FTE), hourly, RAN offers a competitive benefits package plus the opportunity to participate in the company matching (3%) retirement plan after only 6 months on the job.
Location: San Francisco
To apply: Please send resume and letter of interest to: HR, Rainforest Action Network, 425 Bush Street, Suite 300, SF, CA 94108, fax 415.398.2732, or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.