For 27 years, Rainforest Action Network (RAN) has campaigned for the forests, their inhabitants and the natural systems that sustain life. Called “some of the most savvy environmental agitators in the business” by The Wall Street Journal, RAN runs creative campaigns to protect forests, stem climate change and defend human rights by pressuring and inspiring the corporations doing the most environmental harm.
RAN is looking for a Digital Engagement Director to lead the organization in a new era of innovative people-powered corporate campaigns. The new role of Digital Engagement Director will lead the current digital department and the organization in developing and testing creative models for engaging supporters to win campaigns. The Digital Engagement Director will also play a leadership role in educating and advocating for digital thinking at all levels of the organization, and in growing digital capacity in both campaigning and fundraising.
The ideal candidate is a leader with a vision for the role of digital engagement strategies in advocacy campaigning, and the management skills necessary to implement those strategies. They see technology as a creative tool for social change, and are passionate about and experienced in working at the intersection of digital, advocacy campaigning and organizing. As this is a highly collaborative position, working closely with campaign, communications and development departments, the ideal candidate will thrive at coordinating inter-departmental teams and can gracefully manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced campaigning environment.
The Digital Engagement Director will sit on the Leadership Team of the organization, and be managed by the Executive Director. This position is expected to support the organization with a combination of digital vision and strategy expertise as well as implementation and management skills. The Director will be responsible for the following:
- Program Vision: Continue to develop digital program vision at RAN, and demonstrate clear decision-making and resource focus.
- Strategy Expertise: Provide a deep understanding of how to apply digital tools, strategies, and innovations towards multiple campaign, engagement, and development goals. Strong grasp of Theory of Change.
- Innovation: Identify and pursue new and innovative digital strategies.
- Implementation of Tactics: Manage the execution of viable digital tactics that engage supporters to achieve social change and fundraising objectives.
- Organizational Leadership: Sit on RAN’s Leadership Team—representing the digital team and vision, and helping set organizational priorities.
- Management of Staff, Vendors and Budget: Effectively manage a 3-person digital team, an outsourced technology vendor, contractors and the department budget.
- Management of Digital Assets: Oversee all components of the organization’s digital presence, including new drupal website, blog, social media accounts, online advocacy tools, CRM, and email program.
- Inter-Departmental Collaboration & Education: Collaborate with RAN Campaigns, Communications and Development Departments to achieve shared goals.
- Focus on Analytics/Data: Help lead the organization in implementing a data-driven culture. Analyze performance metrics for digital channels and strategies, and make data-driven decisions.
The most compelling candidate will have a deep knowledge of innovations in digital and offline supporter engagement, a solid and recognized background in digital leadership, and strong organizational, communication and team management skills. Political savvy, environmental or corporate campaign, and nonviolent direct action experience is a big bonus. Experience and skills required:
- Ability to work fast and smart, with exceptional time management and prioritization skills.
- Proven experience developing campaigns that integrate online and offline strategies, in particular incorporating effective digital engagement strategies.
- An energetic, entrepreneurial nature that combines humility, curiosity, and a learning attitude with analytical skills and technological savvy; enthusiasm about experimentation and working in highly collaborative teams to produce transformative outcomes.
- Track record in clear decision-making, and an ability to manage both the big picture vision of a program with the deep details required in a data-driven department.
- Proven experience creating and managing creation of successful websites, digital campaign tools, and outreach initiatives.
- Ability to share knowledge, successfully communicate ideas and collaborate with diverse teams.
- Possession of the technical skills required to use and administer a complex ecosystem of digital tools, and to manage technical staff and contractors.
- Demonstrated ability to support staff in curating creative, effective multimedia content for web, mobile and social media platforms, including experience with story-based strategies.
- Passion for RAN’s mission and unique corporate campaign approach, and comfortable with nonviolent direction action strategies.
Preferred Technical Skills
- Content management systems and eCRM
- Drupal, Convio and Salsa
- Excellent skills in Adobe Creative Suite, HTML, and CSS
- Knowledge of server-side Web programming and LAMP system administration
This is a full-time position based at RAN’s San Francisco head office. Please send letter of interest to: email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
RAN values diversity, educates staff on issues including privilege and oppression, and integrates these values into all of our work. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this process and work with us to create a just, inclusive, and sustainable work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities.